Q: Is the ETG test able to detect the difference between the different types of alcohol in the body?
A: YES! The ETG test detects Ethanol derivatives only. Ethanol alcohol is ‘drinking alcohol’
Q: Will the frequent use of rubbing alcohol interfere with the ETG test results?
A: NO! The use of rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) will not interfere with the ethyl glucuronide test. It also will not result in a positive ETG
- Ethanol (grain alcohol) makes ethyl glucuronide.
- Methanol (wood alcohol) makes methyl glucuronide.
- Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) makes isopropyl glucuronide.
How Does an ETG & ETS Alcohol Test Work?
Ethyl glucuronide (or ETG) is a metabolite only produced when alcohol is in the bloodstream. It is identified as a marker in alcohol through an analytical process that provides forensic evidence of the pattern of alcohol abuse – or absence of it.
The more alcohol a person consumes the greater amount of EtG markers are present in the bloodstream. The presence of EtG in the urine can be used to detect recent alcohol consumption, even after the ethanol alcohol is no longer measurable. As a result, it can be determined that a urine alcohol test employing EtG is a more accurate indicator of the recent consumption of alcohol as opposed to simply measuring for the existence of ethanol alcohol. If the laboratory detects the presence of EtG in the urine sample, it then also tests for the presence of EtS (another alcohol metabolite). Testing for both these metabolites improves the accuracy and reliability of the test.
ETG and ETS testing are frequently used for zero tolerance and alcohol abstinence programs such as Drug Courts, family law, treatment facilities, and school systems.
Features And Benefits Of ETG And ETS Testing Include:
- Combined test for ETG and ETS provides greater sensitivity and accuracy
- Ideal for zero tolerance and abstinence situations
- Strong indicator of ethanol ingestion within the previous 3 to 4 days(urine), and up to 90 days (hair or fingernail)
- Allows monitoring in alcohol treatment programs
- Acts as early warning system to detect trends towards relapse
- Tests performed by LC/MS/MS on state of the art equipment
- EtG/EtS tests may be run on urine specimens in conjunction with other drug testing panels
- Fast turn-around time from receipt of specimen
HAIR Alcohol testing
(90 day history)
NAIL Alcohol testing
- Alcohol usage evaluated time-specific
- Levels determined by specific alcohol markers
- Certified lab testing (ISO9001 Certified)
- Expert witness available thru lab
- Results in 2-3 business days